SAN GIOVANNI’S BAPTISTERY
Located in the immidiate proximity of the Collegiata, San Giovanni’s baptistery dates back to the second half of the 16th century: built and desired by the Omegna community with the aim to recover the ancient baptistery of the late Middle Ages and with the desire to reaffirm the rights of primacy of the ancient historical pievana church.
In 1618 the moving of the baptisimal font from the Collegiata to San Giovanni’s oratory took place.
The premises over the portico, originally intended to house the “ S.S.corpo di Cristo “ confraternity, were actually accomodating the Lenten preacher. Later the “ Compagnia della Dottrina Cristiana “ will settle there.
In 1677, a sepulcher for children was placed to the right of the entrance while, in 1838, the Consorzio of San Luigi Gonzaga for the education of Christian youth , took its seat.
Interiors are simple and recall a very sober style.
Restored at the beginning of 90s of the last century, it was used for the administration of baptisms.