WHERE DID THE BRIDGE STAND?
The sluice gates for the regulation of Lake level were executed by royal decree of 28 October 1865, which declared their public utility, by project of the engineer comm.Alessandro Pestalozza from Milan.
The making of Largo Cobianchi takes place in 1913, and it covered the ancient Town Hall bridge, connection between the banks. The old bridge is still visible accessing the Nigoglia side, under the covering slab.
In “Omegna Cara” by Pasquale Maulini( 1978) we read as follow:
The most important work sposored by Pro Omegna has been covering the Nigoglia by the making of Largo Cobianchi.
With the help of Comm. Giuseppe Cobianchi and Cav.Giulio Isotta, the work was realized in March and April 1913 and , before the pavment had made solid grip, a parchment with the story of the work and the name of Eng. Antonio Brunelli as designer and works director and the company Maurizio Rinaldi, carrying out the works, was walled. The parchment before the signatures by Pro Omegna administrators, has the following conclusion: “this work must teach to the next generations that where the citizens are not narrow-minded but feel real love for their country and know how to sacrifice themeselves to every noble initiative, every work of beauty and civilisation is possible