No historical documents mention its constructions but the oratory in the Carcallo area already existed when, on 4 April 1616, the statue of the Virgin and Baby Jesus was blessed for the first time. The multi-colour wood statue is dressed in fine textiles richly decorated with gold and embroidery elements – a very old Spanish tradition – therefore, only the visible parts are finished. The original clothing was lost and replaced with garments created especially for it in the past century. The new garments were restored in 2016 by the Benedictine nuns of the Island of San Giulio, in occasion of the 400th anniversary of the first coronation.
In 1616, the church was named “Oratory of Our Lady of the People”, characterised by a “piazza on one side and a large fountain made of decorated serizzo granite”, as described in a parish inventory dated 27 August 1696. Restructuring works, started in 1886, led to the addition of two chapels. A third votive chapel was built at the foot of the rock on which the current sanctuary is built. Unfortunately, we have no further information about the elegant aedicula with colonnade dedicated to Our Lady of the Miracle, which was later used as a lazaret. In the early 1960s, irresponsible works to widen the road and build a FIAT agency brought down the chapel and a large reception room that from the North side extended down towards the ferriera.